Tuesday 22 March 2016

Driving eating driving sleeping

I was asleep by 9pm last night, so no blog, sorry. Poor Jemima hasn't been very well - she has developed a terrible cough and cold, and had an awful night's sleep the night before (and consequently so did I - she kept calling for me, half asleep, so in the end I moved into the back, which at least meant I didn't have to clamber over Kevin each time, but didn't result in a restful night). And I'm sure hours of driving each day isn't much fun for her - she's very patient, and there's book reading and playing and nap time, and a bit of TV towards the end of the day, but it must still be a strain. 

I think all this driving is fairly hard work for Kevin as well. Driving Beatrix requires more constant adjustment than a car, which is wearing, especially when it's windy; and motorways are really boring. And it is a very long way.

BUT... we are making inroads into Italy. The trees are sprinkled with young green leaves, and pink blossom, and I didn't wear any socks today - a sure sign of spring. And Italy is glorious (despite the overly carefree driving, a stereotype we are finding to be true). We stayed on a campsite on the edge of Florence last night, and as we got closer Kevin and I played "spot the Tuscan view". There were many: undulating hills, dark spires of cypresses, and golden red-roofed buildings (and a cement works which looked picturesque from a distance...). And there was even a Tuscan view from our overnight pitch: a pretty yellow and white church with a bell tower, on a hilltop, surrounded by trees, overlooking the campsite.

It was good to be in a campsite for a night: proper Italian pasta in the restaurant (where we were the sole guests - it's only been open for a week this season); a deserted, overgrown play area for Jemima, which still provided a lot of fun and exertion after hours of sitting; long, hot showers; and proper electricity to charge the various appliances (including the mini Dyson - I will beat the sand this trip...). We all had a good night's sleep and Jemima seems much better today.

And then on the road again. More driving; lunch in a service station (lovely prosciutto, mozzarella, tomato and olive salad, I do love Italy); more driving; and then our night stop: a quiet service station on the edge of a small town in what looks (through the twilight) like a much more rugged and deserted part of Italy. More of the same tomorrow, but if all goes well, we'll be sleeping in Sicily tomorrow night! And these driving days will be over, and the real trip will begin.

One final point: I am really struggling with Internet access to do my blog this trip. Apparently we're being 'throttled' because we use too much data, so uploading text is ok but photos are proving challenging. Plus my blogger app has crashed and it won't let me download it again. Anyway, if there is wifi at any point I will do what I can, but what this basically means is don't expect many/ any photos or maps; it will be mainly text only I'm afraid.

Yesterday: Chatillon to Bottai (near Florence):


Today: Bottai to Sala Consilina Ovest (not near anywhere! But sort of on the front ankle of Italy's boot):



 


4 comments:

  1. Glad you're nearly there! I'm going to Lucca now instead of Siena after Bologna, so you are two weeks ahead of me in Tuscany! Can't wait. Enjoy Sicily, that is seriously on my list. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was beautiful weather in Tuscany, sorry our paths won't cross there! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about being unable to send pics. Catch up with those later. We enjoy the writing as much as anything else. Love, Mum. Hope the day was not too long and hard today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All much more relaxed now the driving is over, thank you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete