Friday 27 January 2017

A winery in our finery

Today I achieved a long held ambition. I've loved the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc for years, but actually visiting the vineyard was not something I thought would actually ever happen - it was so very far away. But now, we're here! And so we went, all dressing up in honour of the occasion (Kevin in his smart shorts, and I finally wore one of the summer dresses I packed - albeit with various extra layers in my bag...).

Blenheim, where we staying, is just on the eastern edge of the Marlborough Wine Trail, so we had a short drive through the town and then between row after row after row of immaculate vineyard with spirit level straight tops, on a large flat plain surrounded by high, misty-topped mountains. Then the very recognisable sign; and a driveway to a set of pretty, modern green and white buildings, with ivy covered walls. We walked into a light and open tasting room, with windows through to where barrels of Pinot Noir were stored, and - having installed Jemima at a table with a sticker book and Peppa Pig videos - signed up for the Cloudy Bay Indulge Tasting Menu: a pink fizz (tasty); 2005 Sauvignon Blanc (much mellower than the fresh, zingy young one I know and love); what they called an "old-fashioned" Sauvignon (nice, but not as nice); then two different Pinot Noirs (never my favourite red, but ok). It was all fun, but I've always found wine tasting a bit silly - all the spitting and swilling and calling a liquid "lithe" or "chewy" (and it only really confirmed that we like the one we knew we liked). The main reason we were here was to be drinking their Sauvignon Blanc where it was made. So over lunch, that is what we did.

And it was glorious. It was a gorgeous, sunny, windy day, and we had a table on the grass under a big umbrella, surrounded by vineyards and mountains. It was an Asian-fusion small plates type menu (which I love), so I said to Kevin I'd be happy with anything on the menu - so he ordered one of everything for us all to share. Fat oysters, roast duck with noodles in a dashi broth (Jemima's favourite), edamame and mint soup, peppered venison, cured salmon and horseradish, beef tartare, and cheese and biscuits, all washed down with the world's best white (to me, anyway). Followed by a play on the grass, and a snooze in the sun. Completely blissful - I will remember today for a long time. We lasted a happy afternoon until they were about to close (I bought a champagne stopper as a wine-related souvenir on the way out), then returned to camp to enjoy the lovely early evening sunshine. 

For the first time this trip it felt like real summer. We had beach clothes on, no jumpers (even today, although it was warm in the sun, the wind made it a bit chilly), and all the windows open in the motorhome. Jemima and I even attempted a swim, but the unheated pool was too icy to stay in long. Then from Cloudy Bay and Asian plates it was cups of tea and beans on toast - we were all a bit overdone - and an early night. So far, South Island is GREAT.

PS I know I'm a bit behind on photos - it's been a bit busy. I will catch up asap...

 

Cloudy Bay!:

 


 

Jemima being patient:

 
 
Fun outside:

 

 

 

 

 

Lunch!: 

 

 

 

More playing:

 

 

 

 

Feeling blissful:

 

 

Blenheim to Cloudy Bay Vineyard (note the local bay is actually called Cloudy Bay, named by Captain Cook in 1770 apparently because the water is a bit cloudy from the silt washed into it by the Wairau river):

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks awesome
    And my isn't jemima growing up quick!

    ReplyDelete