Saturday 24 October 2015

A red letter day

1) Kevin woke up today with purpose. Apart from wild camping, his other motorhome dream has been parking right next to the beach with easy access to our paraphernalia, and perhaps even a cup of tea in his lounger. On any trip out he has been scouting the perfect beach/ motorhome accessible combo, and we had a promising sighting yesterday. So after only the four hours it seems to take us to leave somewhere, plus ten minutes driving, we arrived. Kevin and Jemima hit the beach, I made the picnic, then the dream was realised. Chairs, table, blanket, bucket and spade, picnic, transported 1 minute from Beatrix, then lunch in the warm sunshine, and two cups of tea, plus sandcastles and paddling. And a happy Kevin (and a very happy Jemima - she does love the beach).

2) We visited some friends in Dorset this summer and were persuaded to swim in the English sea. It was actually amazing - bracing, invigorating - as well as absolutely freezing. I am a wuss when it comes to the cold, and never volunteer to experience it in any form; but today, inspired by that summer swim, the spirit of (very mild) adventure took hold, and I took Jemima into the chilly Med. She didn't last very long (a bit shocked by the temperature); but I went back in for a proper swim - shrieking loudly, but I did it. And it was great.

3) A confession: among all the things we have now done, living in the motorhome, one was missing - we had not yet washed Jemima's hair. It seemed to do that self cleaning thing - I kept thinking I'd wash it when it got bad (it's a bit of a pain to do without a bath), but then it never seemed to get that bad. But today, two and a half weeks in, with a heated shower block and temperature controlled water - was the day. So Jemima took Dashi and Tweak (the female Octonauts) and we four girls showered and washed our hair together. Maybe we'll do it again in another couple of weeks.







On the way in:


And on the way out...:





Swimming stuff drying on a tree:


Roses to Empuriabrava (a spot of wild camping):


3 comments:

  1. Laughed at the four girls showering together! I tried the "no poo" "movement" last year (no shampoo but rather baking soda and water, then apple cider vinegar to condition) - I thought it might change my life for the better but after a few months my hairdresser told me it smelled horrible and I went back to shampoo and very glad I have. Happy birthday for Friday Kevin! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought her hair was starting to whiff a bit (although Kevin didn't) - that's what drove me to it in the end. Definitely wouldn't want to try it without a heated shower block though... There's a special photo for you on the latest post btw! X x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You never regret a swim"... Is the saying round these Dorset ways! Richard wondering if you'd like to pop down to Dorset for the West Bay Wallow in Boxing Day...

    Keep swimming! (And blogging) xxx

    ReplyDelete