Friday 12 January 2018

Home-making

Before I even unpacked a suitcase when we first arrived, I started re-organising the kitchen. As we're in one place for such a long time, it is a very different feeling to our previous trips, which either involved a pre-packed motorhome or lots of moving around. So making sure the plates are accessible and hiding extraneous Tupperware has been making me quietly, but deeply, happy.

Today was about more of the same. With my well-known food obsession, I needed to do some menu planning and a proper food shop. So we took the recipe books I'd brought (yes, I packed recipe books) and a notebook, and ambled into the village for a café cortado and some list-making. Then off in the car to the Mercadona down the road. 

Kevin went off for an explore (we were in Palmanova, site of the famous Gumball machine), while I did a similar exploration of the supermarket. I'm usually rushing around grabbing bread and ham while Jemima and Kevin wait irritably in the motorhome; today, I had time. I spent ages by the meat counter trying to work out the correct translation for the various cuts of beef (Google Translate offering me "hip" was not that helpful); or what was the distinction between three seemingly identical but differently named types of squid. It was great. I am so looking forward to it all becoming familiar, and getting more experienced at making the most of Spanish ingredients.

Then home to unpack, eat lunch, and for me, go back to bed: I still have a rotten cough/ cold, so took the afternoon to nurse it while Kevin went for a long walk around the northern part of Portals Nous. Then the usual routine of collecting Jemima from school, followed by our first tapas-y (-ish) style dinner: asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham with roast chicken pieces and corn on the cob. Home life, Mallorcan-style.

And here are some photos of our temporary home!

My view from the kitchen:







Jemima's room



Kevin and my room


No comments:

Post a Comment