Sunday 14 January 2018

Pottering in Palma

After such a busy week, a quiet weekend was in order. Jemima and I made pancakes according to our Saturday morning tradition, then I went back to bed for the day (I'm sleeping badly because of the coughing - yes, still ill). Kevin and Jemima had a lovely time scooting around Portals, including a beach visit, then exploring around the Parc de la Mer underneath Palma Cathedral (including a much-enjoyed lunch in McDonalds...). Reunited, we had a group rest, then went for our first family Mallorcan dinner out: to Moo Moo's, the local steak restaurant (Jemima thought the name was hilarious...). Very good food; very jolly company; and such a joy to be able to walk there and back in five minutes.

Sunday started slowly: Jemima and I played games and did her weekly homework (four words to spell: box, log, cup and cat, nothing too strenuous...). Then she and Kevin took me to Palma to show me what they'd found yesterday. It was another beautiful day, just right for wandering. We shared a waffle sitting on the steps with the Cathedral towering above; then set off down the main shopping streets, Jemima doing a very good job of avoiding pedestrians on her scooter. Only about a third of the shops were open, and they tended to be the international chains - Sunday still means something different here. A coffee stop; a scoot back to the car; then lunch and a quiet afternoon of activities and drawing in the flat before dinner (more tapas experiments: it turns out I didn't do so well with my meat cut translation as our beef skewers were a bit chewy...); and then an early night. I can't believe how much time has flown already - let's see what adventures week two brings.











No comments:

Post a Comment