Thursday 25 January 2018

Overindulgence

It was the hottest day yet. It had been a glorious sunrise; and we'd had a lovely run in the sunshine. So the decision was: what next? It was so hot we were tempted by the beach - I quite fancied sitting reading in the sun, pretending it was summer; but we discovered we didn't have any deckchairs in the flat after all, so scrapped that idea (with the plan to buy some on our next shopping trip). So, as the next best thing, we went to Lila's, Portals' "beach club" - a restaurant and bar on a terrace overlooking the sandy bay below.

The problem is the size of the measures. Kevin had a small beer - the usual half pint-ish size. I had a glass of wine - and in Spain they are generally larger than usual, but this was an absolute bucketful, probably a third of a bottle. But we sat happily in the sun for a while, sipping away, looking out to sea, and people-watching on the terrace (various swanky types talking business; and three extremely glossy Russian ladies lunching). Then Kevin asked, "are you having another?". And in my weakness, I said "yes".  

After two glasses aka nearly a bottle of wine to myself, we walked slowly back up the steep hill for lunch at Chameli's. Kevin had pork cheek, and I had hake with a salsa verde. It was delicious - so delicious I ate every scrap, even though it was an enormous plateful. As a result, when we got home, the only option was for me to retire to bed; Kevin had to collect Jemima. I was completely over-drunk and over-eaten. 

Jemima, by contrast, was full of beans; she came home singing Spanish songs, and raving about the lentil soup (!) she'd had at lunchtime. She'd also been to arts and crafts club, so was clutching a picture of some hot air balloons - we are slowly adding colour to our very chic but fairly monochrome flat. Another jolly evening (my nap had revived me somewhat), and then bed, swearing to do better tomorrow. As my grandmother used to say, "everything in moderation"...

A tipsy journey up from the Portals Nous beach club



Sunrise



 Running in the marina





Dragon boats all lined up waiting for the Puerto Portals 2017 Winter race series - there must be twenty of them...



Lila's 





No comments:

Post a Comment