Thursday 22 February 2018

Adventures and goodbyes

Jemima was thrilled to be going back to school, and even more thrilled that big brother Ben was going to walk with her. We both waved as she cheerfully skipped off on her "train" of small children to morning line-up. "Bye Ben, bye Mummy!" It's so wonderful (and still a relief) that she enjoys it.

It was back to school for me too today: I needed to do some studying for my coaching course to catch up on the half term week off. So Kevin took Ben into Palma for the day while I hit the books.

They had a lovely time: the Cathedral, the Mercet d'Olivar, the streets of the Old Town; and then (I was very jealous) they went to a recommended vegan restaurant Bon Lloc to try out their menú - four courses for €15, excellent apparently; as well as explored that area of Palma - full of art galleries. Finally Kevin showed Ben our top spots: our wonderful Ermita and Deia (Ben did not enjoy the narrow drive, but then the view was worth it).

And while they were enjoying my perfect kind of day, I was revising, with some Super Noodles for lunch... But at least I got a lot done.

Then the usual afternoon of school pick up and dinner for Jemima; plus, in honour of Ben's visit and a glorious evening, a post-dinner ice cream down at the marina. Followed by an extra treat for me - Ben kindly agreed to babysit so that Kevin and I could have dinner out to celebrate my birthday.

We had a lovely evening. I chose the very nice Japanese restaurant, Tahini, in the marina (Kevin is not so keen on Japanese food, so my birthday seemed a good opportunity to try it out). And it was a beautiful restaurant, lovely service, hideously expensive, but great food.  And we had a very jolly time. I felt suitably celebrated. 

The next day (Tuesday), Ben's last, was also a big day for Jemima: her first ever school trip, on a coach with the other Reception children to visit an art foundation in the north of the island. She was very excited. Kevin and I in the meantime started our day with a run (back on track now); then we also went north, with Ben, to do some sightseeing up there.

I had a whole itinerary planned, from the wonderful Sunflower book. But unfortunately  I hadn't bargained on how far away it all was - about an hour and a quarter drive, Mallorca is bigger than you think. So, given the time available, my itinerary was slimmed down to just one highlight: Artà, supposedly an attractive medieval hill town in the north-west of Mallorca.

And attractive it was. We climbed to the top of the Sanctuarí de Sant Salvador, a former 13th century Moorish fortress with brilliantly crenellated walls, now with a church at its heart, and wonderful views over the town. Then we wandered through the heart of Artà's old town, past their weekly market, until we found a restaurant advertising vegetarian paella - potentially a vegan-friendly lunch...

It was vegan-friendly; it was delicious (I shared it with Ben); and they also had a menú del dia for Kevin (although it wasn't up to Chameli's standards, of course). And then it was time to go home to collect Jemima (I slept most of the way back, snoring quietly - I hope - on the backseat.)

Jemima was also tired after her exciting day, which she had loved - I couldn't really make head or tail about what they'd done - apparently some stone animals had been magicked to life? Anyway, she enjoyed it, although she was actually too knackered to eat when she first got home - unheard of... So no ice cream trips today but another early night, with promises from Ben to take her to school the next day. 

And that brings us up to date. Ben did walk with us to school on Wednesday morning, and we both said big goodbyes to little (perfectly happy) Jemima - he is moving to Toronto for work in mid-March, so it will be a few months before we next see him. And I am flying to London today until Monday, for part of my life coaching course. So Jemima and Daddy will be home alone until Friday afternoon when Uncle Ady (Daddy's brother) arrives for the weekend. Who knows what mischief they will all get up to...

So the morning was packing and preparing for departure, followed by eggs in Chameli's, and then we all drove to the airport to drop me off - Ben's flight was later in the afternoon after mine, so he and Kevin were going to potter in Palma for a few hours. And that was goodbye to my beloveds until Monday! I'll be home in time to collect Jemima from school.

And so that is also goodbye for now for the blog. I will see if I can add any updates on Kevin and Jemima's adventures, especially with Uncle Ady. But normal service will resume next week, once my Mallorcan adventure continues!



Views from Ben and Kevin's adventures





Marina trip





Jemima having fun with her camera





Birthday dinner



Tuesday: Artà





















No comments:

Post a Comment