Thursday 1 February 2018

January swim

The last of the sunny days for a while, according to the app. We started the day with the normal routine: my work, and our morning run (we are definitely getting fitter!). Then Kevin suggested I take one of our new camping chairs and a book down to the beach for a few hours, as he knew I was hankering for this. 

So while he went off for a nice drive around nearby Santa Ponça, I took a chair, my laptop and a towel, and skipped blithely through the apartment buildings to the beach.

January (albeit the 31st), and it was hot enough for me to sit in a bikini, with the shelter of the wall behind me, while watching coaching videos on my laptop. January, and it was so hot that at one point my iPhone overheated and told me it had to cool down before I could use it. And then the ultimate test: January, and yes, I went for a swim.

The sea is so cold that I didn't even want to paddle with Jemima in the previous two days. But I knew a swim was today or not for ages; and I also knew that you never regret a swim (thanks, as always to Richard Klein for this). And I was genuinely hot. So I steeled myself, and walked determinedly in (accompanied by many stifled squeaks).

It was FREEZING - apparently the same temperature as the North Sea in November. So cold that it was actually painful. But it was also, of course, wonderfully exhilarating; and the sea is just stunning - immersing myself in that turquoise water after seeing so much of it was amazing. 

I didn't stay in long (too cold) but loved every minute. Then I retreated back to the flat to meet Kevin for our traditional late lunch. Another successful Chameli's visit (delicious stuffed aubergines), and afterwards off to collect a happy Jemima from Arts and Crafts Club, before the painting continued at home until bedtime (her creativity has clearly been unleashed...)

Even if that's it for a while, we have been so unbelievably lucky with the sunshine this month. I feel very grateful.

Post-swim exhilaration 



Studying on the beach



Santa Ponça views







No comments:

Post a Comment