Friday 8 April 2016

Bathrobes and bicycles

I was in the bath for an hour last night. I am writing this in the bath now. It is one of the few things I miss when we're in Beatrix. In fact, this bathroom is probably bigger in square footage than Beatrix. But it's funny, the space doesn't really matter - we adapt easily to that. But I do miss a bath.

We've had a lovely day. The hotel is very modern and looked a little stark in the miserable weather yesterday, but in today's breezy sun was revealed in all its low-rise, clean-lined designer glory. A wonderful breakfast, including fresh carrot, apple and fennel juice, yum, and a special provision of sausages for Jemima (and baked beans promised for tomorrow - what service). Then we took Jemima to the friendly Kids' Club, where she ran off happily to play, not looking back. Kevin and I walked and cycled around for an hour, exploring (it's very well landscaped, with cycle paths criss-crossing the (occasionally literal) green - there are a lot of fit, glossy, mature golfers around). Then we collected her for a family trip to the beautiful indoor pool. (I was very proud because Kevin hasn't seen her swimming properly since last summer, and she's really progressed; we had a lot of fun. Thank you Karen!)

Off to lunch; then back to the Kids' Club where the afternoon plan was to make biscuits. "Do you want me to stay?" I asked. "No Mummy, you go." It's bittersweet: obviously I want her to feel comfortable and be able to have fun without us; but I do feel slightly like I'm abandoning her to strangers - this is her first time in anything like this, other than her lovely play school. Although all she's talked about since we've been here is, "where are the children?", so this is clearly where she wants to be; and the first thing she said when we collected her was, "I had a very nice time". Anyway, I'm sure this is a universal parent experience. And Kevin and I did have a lovely hour or so in the adults-only outdoor thalassotherapy pools, in the sunshine...

Back to our comfortable room for a little family rest, then on the bikes to the pizzeria at the other end of the resort. You can borrow these from reception, and we'd specifically ordered one with a child seat, which we'd taken back to the parking place outside our room. But when we came to go to dinner it wasn't there! Bike theft! The helpful front desk cycled a replacement to us (I could see him coming down the path at high speed, his suit jacket flapping in the wind). And then we ended up cycling to the pizzeria behind the actual bike thieves! (Each bike has a number, I knew it was ours...) Obviously, being English, we didn't say anything, just talked about them behind their backs (Kevin wanted to let their tyres down but I wouldn't let him); but I'm not sure they noticed.

Jemima was very tired by this time after her fun-filled day, so it was a fairly quick meal before home, and bed for Jemima. And now, here I am again, back in the bath. There will be time for one more tomorrow night before we leave. And before then, one more day of indulgence.

The aftermath of the storm:


On our morning wander, the outdoor pool:


Afternoon in the spa, the indoor pool:


And the thalassotherapy pools (our favourite was 32 degrees, just lovely in the fresh breeze):


Kevin and Jemima having a wander post Kids' Club:


Dinner:


My wonderful bath, with the lemon tree outside the window:



 


 


 


 


 


 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds very attractive apart from the kleptocrats! I would have let their tyres down but then there's the Mafiosi to think about. Perhaps not! I'd like to go to that play Skool. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to show daddy all of Jemima's skills in the pool!

    ReplyDelete