Thursday 14 April 2016

You never regret a swim

It was windy when we woke up; warm, but very, very windy. I felt a bit concerned for the climbers getting blown off the mountain. After a morning finishing washing (all my whites flapping on the line gave me a certain glow of satisfaction), we decided to hit the beach.

On Kevin's trip to town the day before, he said he had found a lovely beach, and it was stunning: white sand, turquoise sea, with the cliffs at one end and a small, not too developed town at the other. Slightly Caribbean-esque. Walking in the sun was hot, but the breeze was chilly - it was a strangely extreme combination. We found a lunch venue with a happy medium, sheltered and shaded, with a great location on the beach. The food didn't quite live up to the location (Jemima did best with her grilled fish that the avuncular waiter filleted at the table for her - although he became less friendly when we asked for ketchup to go with her chips); but it was good enough, and it was a wonderful view. Then we ventured onto the sand.

It had clouded over a bit during lunch, and it was certainly fresh, but I was determined to swim - I haven't yet, and there couldn't have been a more inviting setting, with the sand gently sloping into the still sea. But it was COLD! Jemima was on the shore encouraging me in ("you can do it Mummy!"); and when she heard my shrieks as I eventually launched myself into the water, she was most concerned ("Mummy, what's wrong?!"). I didn't stay in long, but it was bracing, invigorating - and freezing; but I'm very pleased I did it. (And was followed shortly into the water by two other people, so I started a trend...)

After that, there was some sand and water playing, a family from our campsite (yes, more climbers, Italian this time) sharing their toys as we'd forgotten ours. And then, with the wind really beginning to pick up to the extent that Jemima and I were sheltering under a towel from blasting sand, I'd had enough. We returned to our pitch to fetch in the washing and Finding Nemo, before a trip to the pizzeria for dinner, and bed. A lovely day.

Lunch with a view:



The waiter filleting under Jemima's supervision:


The beach:




Post swim, Jemima still concerned:



 




 


 


 



 





No comments:

Post a Comment